lunedì 10 maggio 2010

Run Ilaria Run

Well, I'm proud to announce that finally I have run 8.4 km in a row without a single stop whether it was because I had to cross a road or because my body refused to keep going.

Last Sunday, I ran the whole distance of Phoenix Park, from one entrance to the other and back again and the feeling at the end was indescribable. Now, for some (or many) of you who can show off your joglog might think what's so incredible with that, but for someone like me who 'till not a long time ago hated running or couldn't run for more than 2 minutes (literally) consecutively, this is a great achievement and motivation.

I have been picturing the full distance for a couple of days waiting for the moment to hit the road.
When I started at the gate as it is a little bit hilly I found it difficult, but that has become a routine of each training so I thought to myself that it would have gotten better in a few minutes. I was right! But still I wasn't feeling 100% in good form and the first negative thoughts came into my head, whether I'd be able to finish what I'd planned. Immediately, I got rid of this mental baggage and refocused on simply delivering my own best effort. So, I stopped worried of things I couldn't control and I started virtually scanning my body where everything seemed to be ok: legs still moving and not hurting, I could still breath normally and my hearth was somewhere in my upper body. I kept telling to myself to run metre after metre until I was feeling I could still run and at least try to get to Castleknock gate.
Then I saw the light at the end of the tunnel: the cars queuing waiting to cross the gate, so I said:"My heart still beats, keep running and add extra mileage, even if you don't run the whole distance".

Section by section I saw all my hotspots that I usually refer to measure the distance as I still don't have a footpod. On the way back, the only thing that I was thinking was that Pain is temporary and quitting lasts for good. It went on and on and when only a quarter of the distance was left to cover I even started picturing how it'd feel finishing without any interruption or giving up. I was so determined to finish the training that when close to the immaginary finish line a woman tried to ask me for something, I didn't stop and with a sort of sound that came out my mouth I apologised for not stopping. It might seem rude, but if I did all my efforts would have been vane and then I think that with all the people that are enjoying a sunny day at the park, why would you even think of bothering a runner?

Did I mention that my request for transfering my to the full marathon has been accepted?
Well, now you know.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento